In which we introduce the villains of the Silver Age: Magneto makes some valid points, Mastermind is a Nice Guy of OkCupid, the Scarlet Witch predicts Cat Breading, the Trasks should really have known better, and the Comics Code Authority is down with pterosaurs.
- Common characteristics of enduring X-villains
- Mutant identity politics and moral relativism
- Context-agnostic Juggernaut flashbacks
- An unorthodox approach to anthropology
- Cyclops’s greatest diplomatic achievement
- Silver Age haberdashery
- An innovative modification to vampire mythology
- Cultural assimilation
- The propaganda-and-sweater-vest machine
- Hex bolts
- Supplemental reading
- Manos: The Hands of Fate (7:10) - Toad is compared to "a really bouncy Torgo"
- Are there early villains that fell by the wayside? Is there a difference between those that did/didn't stick?
- How could Unus the Untouchable be alive? Wouldn't he starve to death or something?
- I've never been able to make sense of Sauron's backstory. Could you try?